Sunday, 6 July 2014

Amsterdam

I’m pleased to say I still appear to avoid the effects of jet lag apart from waking up at 5am most mornings, so I’ve taken today’s 6am wakeup as a chance to sit down & write up the journey so far. The summer heat that I arrived too took a wet change yesterday so I’m sitting at my attic window slightly chilled as the weather decides if it wants to rain again…I’m pretty sure I can smell a native joint blowing by to add to the authenticity of the setting?


2nd-3rd July 
I befriended an American man in the Sydney security queue after he complemented my travellers smile. I was too exhausted to think I could even manage a smile so he took me by surprise. I shared how surreal my trip felt & that it hadn’t sunk in yet. He shared how he lives between Sydney, Hawaii & New York, he even had the green card to support his story (I didn’t realise there literally was a green card)!

My 1st evening flight from Sydney to Dubai was rather uncomfortable courtesy of the travellers in front & behind me. I took pleasure in the little things like scoring the window seat & the red crescent moon across the airport bay as the plane took off. It was just above the skyline, laying like a Cheshire cat grin. I did form a nice relationship with the couple beside me courtesy of her bout of nausea & my last peppermint patty sacrifice that seemed to cure her. They shared their story that they were on their way to Russia where the hubby is attending a conference & their daughter who is completing year 12 studies but still unsure what direction to take.

My 3 hour window in Dubai flew by courtesy of people watching & free papers. As the plane took off I was able to see a contrasting scene over Dubai in the daylight (scored another window seat!!!). Although the view was slightly unclear, I could see the landmark buildings & palm island. The remaining flight was very entertaining courtesy of a 9 year old boy & his mother. They were travelling from Cape town to Amsterdam to spend time with his father. He had the best one liners & was extremely polite. We swapped stories about our home towns. I asked him what was his favourite thing about Cape town? “Well…I think it’s beauty & it’s many sights to see. You can also drive several miles out of town to see baboons, giraffes  & if you are really lucky you can see a real cheetah!”
I frequently took in the views & checked the airline maps to track where we were. I was surprised to see Baghdad on one map? I was glued to the window as we flew over Turkey. The Turkish landscape frequently changed & the colour of the water was incredible.


My arrival at Amsterdam was rather confusing as I attempted to work out the best way to my accommodation. The tourist desk boy saved the day & 1 train & tram ride later I was near my destination but still managed to feel rather lost until a nice English came to my aid. The flatmate was detained, allowing me some chill down by our local canal (photo below). Eventually I arrived to my attic (3 narrow flights of stairs up). The remainder of the evening was spent exploring the local neighbourhood canal paths.

Note to self
-don’t rely on phone maps
-there are friendly people in the world


4th July
I couldn’t tell you if my bed was uncomfortable? I’m pretty sure the lumpy feather pillow must be but as soon as I lay down, I crashed! I also have the  awkwardness of going down 2 flights of stairs to use the bathroom in the girls apartment. Every floorboard creaks  so I’ve restrained my needs to avoid being disruptive. I’ve managed once to open the wrong exit door & may have woken one of the girls *awkward* I hoping she was too tired to remember? I’ve met 2 out of the 3 flatmates. They are extremely nice. The first girl I met shared her story of studying humanitarian work & the struggle to find placement within her career. She lived in Mexico for 6 months in her effort to seek her position in life.

My 1st official venture into Amsterdam took me to Vondelpark, Rijks & the Van Gogh museums. It amazed me how many people just zoom through the galleries not even looking with their own eyes but through the camera lens. The amount of times people pushed in front, snapped & continued on was rather depressing for the artist. From the 1st gallery, I decided to avoid being that tourist. Sure I may forget the details with time or my memory may blur memories of what I’ve seen through media or first hand experiences. The Milkmaid, Johannes Vermeer, was a piece I had studied during a drawing class. it was surreal seeing something for the first time that I knew rather well. The collections in both Museums were amazing. Netherlands definitely deserve boasting rights. 
By the end of the day I managed to develop the largest blister I’ve ever had on my heal (sorry to gross you out).

Note to self 
-shoes that are comfortable in winter may not work the same in Summer heat! 
-take your time





5th July
Today was intended to be a lazy day as I assumed the weekend meant tourist overflow. I’ve just about mastered the trams although my normally strong sense of direction is very confused with their street layouts. They have pedestrian paths that double for various parking, small vehicle lanes (cycles, scooters, motorbikes & single person vehicles), car parking lanes, double tram/bus lane that also allows cars in some streets?, car lanes & tram/bus stop islands. They drive in the opposite direction to Sydney. There are zebra crossings everywhere but also have lights on most so I can’t work out if I have right of way?

I caught the tram into a market that was very underwhelming although the surroundings proved more interesting. I found myself exploring beautiful canals, lane ways, the Rembrandtplein & the Dam (main square). The weather took a cool change today with indecisive rain so I got in a spot of shopping in a nearby district. Discovered I’m too big in the bust for a vintage chain here (thought it would be my belly). By the end of the day I was near the Anne Frank house & a popular pancake cafe, both with massive queues. Another day perhaps. 

For those who don’t know & wonder why I’m not rushing out to the cheekier side of Amsterdam, this is my second trip to Amsterdam. Last time I was part of the traditional hostel backpacker crew who investigated the Red light district, Sex museums, used the bathroom of a hazy cafe, joined the Heineken tour, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank house & canal cruises. I choose not to drink, smoke or do the famous local delicacies but observed those in our group who had.  This time round is a combination of settling into travel mode & to be able to take it in a my own pace. I had seen several articles about Amsterdam's government attempting to clean up it’s reputation with restrictions. I believe this is evident in the small differences I’ve noticed since my last trip or perhaps it’s just my mature eyes taking different things in? The city seems cleaner, more modern & the hilarious privacy booths for toileting appear to have gone.

Not to self
-It’s ok to play the stupid tourist & ask for help…it helps to be able to laugh at yourself




No comments:

Post a Comment