Sunday, 6 July 2014

Flowers, candy & frites

Another update courtesy of the rain


True story of my foolish endeavours 


Bloemenmakt -Flower Market
Yesterday, I spontaneously decided to seek out the flower market after finding it on the tourist app

The Singel flower market is one of Amsterdam’s most colourful attractions. The small shops are located inside a row of floating barges – a holdover from the days when flowers arrived in Amsterdam every day from the countryside by boat.

So I’m imagining various boats covered in containers of fresh flowers, tied to the canal edges in a set up similar to the Thai boat market? The app shows it’s not too far from where I’m located. I set out not registering that for some reason the app is directing me back near the Rembrandtplein until I’m around the corner. My first realisation was there are no canals on that area of the map. Naturally I gave up & sought out other sites.

Today I was determined to get it right & guess what…I actually passed the markets several times yesterday!!! Although in my defence they looked like the boxy tourist stores placed all other the city from the angle I saw them from. However it may explain the rows of tulips on my map which I obviously paid attention too. There was none of the romantic appeal I had imagined. they were floating boxes! The stores contained seeds, various plants, bulbs & more bulbs with the occasional ‘grow this from a tin’ & the rare fresh flowers. 

Naturally they sold cannabis starter kits! I wondered how many young backpackers have tried to smuggle that home? Last time I was here, my coach was preparing to cross the border. We were warned not to try smuggling anything as one of the company’s drivers was arrested & fighting charges after a passenger was caught out. The laws charge the driver as well. You may be surprised at the amount of goods tossed out the back door before crossing.

I’d only recommend the markets if you were looking at buying (they do promote exporting). Perhaps it’s more appealing in spring?





Museum Het Rembrandt - Rembrandt’s house
Today’s highlight was seeing Rembrandt’s etched prints. The house itself was so-so as it’s a collection of interpreted pieces attempting to recreate what was lost. The did have a free class teaching visitors how to create the prints which maybe worthwhile if you are there at the right time. The final room was filled with his inked creations. Each one worth studying although this strange American felt the need to do Yoga stretches while studying the work? Wrist snapping makes it distracting for others!  I think I prefer Rembrandt’s etched work to his paintings which is a similar discovery I made when seeing Da Vinci’s sketches at the Louvre. 

I may have taken one photo of ‘The three trees’ after studying it up close. It is one of those works when you keep spotting something you hadn’t noticed before.

www.rembrandthuis.nl





Vegan Candy, Beyonce & Prostitues 
As I hadn’t planned much else for the day, I allowed myself to get lost in the lane ways. I finally got to see some (shirtless) men using the hooks to lift furniture up. I’ve been wondering if they were remnants of the old days or still in use? I didn’t have the patience to see how they avoid smashing the windows.
I came across an appealing street full of interesting shops. I couldn’t pass the Candy Freaks window without investigating. Inside the awesome salesman entertained the tourist with free samples & funny lines. We joked about Beyonce’s website showing his pink head design on their page after her local tour & whether she went into the store or her minions were the ones responsible (he wasn’t working that day). The store appears to be like any other candy store only there’s a twist…everything is organic, vegan or vegetarian. You couldn't tell substitutes had been made. I felt obligated to buy something after all the free samples. It’s the right thing to do!!! The Thyme pearls sound unusual but are a new fave. P.S. they sell online www.candyfreaks.com

After passing through another disappointing market (come on Amsterdam where are the good markets?), I checked my map I realised I was near the red light district. In fact I had crossed it without realising. I turned back & did the lap. The daylight lets you interpret the tourist ticking the icon of their list & the people there to utilise the services. There weren’t as many women working, in fact there were plenty of vacant booths for hire signs.


My last trip, I remember our large group of backpackers completing the lap, laughing at the types of women on offer & being highly entertained by one backpacker who was confident with how to get there & at negotiating our group fee for a live show (I chickened out & returned to the hostel bar with half the group).
This time round all I could see was the awkwardness of the woman. It wasn’t enough for them to resort to prostitution but to also be on display for the mocking tourists. I couldn’t help but wonder what took them down this path as an older frumpy man smugly left a lane booth with a grin & the 3 creepy young men practically forcing their way in to a booth to negotiate when they spotted a healthier & more attractive women on display. 





De Nieuwe Kerk & cheesy goodness
Suitably, the storm appeared to be approaching. I finally had my first frites & mayo (slightly overcooked) as I explored more lane ways & finishing the frites at the monument in the Dam. The rain caught up so I checked out the De Nieuwe Kerk. While grand & beautiful the entrance fee wasn’t worth it. They did have a historical tour that was slightly interesting but I left feeling shortchanged. I cured my emptiness with free cheese samples in a nearby store…who knew cumin  & cheese make such a yum combo? If only I could take some with me




Note to self
-woohoo for not getting lost today
-Yep you are getting older & more socially conscious 
-Stop eating the candy

Tomorrow I’m joining a county side cycling tour which means it will most likely rain all day!




No comments:

Post a Comment