I had the opportunity to stay with this truly amazing family for 4 nights! Time has flown by since I met Rhonda & Andrew back in their Sydney days. Since then their family has expanded & they’ve relocated to Bavaria. The Winkworth’s are inspiring as most holidays they pack up the clan & hit the road to some amazing destinations! It doesn’t matter if this requires them to rough it. Most families would never dream of living out of their car or camping for such extents but all of the family appear to recognise the lack of luxuries allows for more adventures.
I’ve learnt & experienced so much more about Bavaria in this short stay then I ever have from my hostel.
I made it to Donawörth in time for the local Kinder performance which put my old school performances to shame! Celebrating it’s 40th year, the festival involves local school children wearing elaborate costumes while retelling the history of Donawörth. Despite the sweltering heat & the narrations in the native tongue (I did have a little translation help from Jaz), I was still able to enjoy the atmosphere & displays. The festival continued with a parade, a meal with the Mayor & medieval themed stalls.
I should note while I was able to try some local delicacies which were delicious, would you believe Sizzlers style toast may have been the highlight ;) Oh, I also had confirmation that the delicious mystery sausage was indeed…..weißwurst. There have been reports that it contains offal! Sometimes its best not to know what you are eating until much later.
Lindt heaven (& so much cheaper)
I had to road test the traditional dirndl...Mine was faulty! It didn't come with a husband as promised by Andrew???
First 'Romana' sighting was in Germany of course
Thank you so much for making me feel welcome xox










You are so very welcome. We look forward to next time you're passing through. The lad and I played Uno the other day - one game each and no cheating ;)
ReplyDelete